Friday, May 22, 2009

Cupcakes!

I don't know about you but sometimes I need a cupcake. Stat! So today I decided to crack open my Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 recipe book. I have the first Hungry Girl book but I am a little leery of all the Splenda and non-fat stuff she uses. And I love Cool Whip as much as the next person but, hello, trans fats. I don't understand why someone is advocating a "healthier" way of eating but advising you to use fake food. But don't get me wrong, I do love myself some Hungry Girl. You have to pick and choose but she has some yummy recipes that are generally low in calories and fat. I perused the cupcake recipes and came across one I had all the ingredients for. Lucky I stocked up on cake mixes when they were on sale for $1! I made these:

Jelly Filled cupcakes (HG 200 under 200)

2 cups moist style yellow cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25 oz box)

1/3 cup no sugar added applesauce

1/4 cup sugar free strawberry preserves

1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

Mix cake mix and baking powder. Add in applesauce and 1 cup water then stir until blended

Spray 12 ct muffin pan and evenly distribute cake mix. Bake for 20-22 min until a toothpick comes out clean.

Meanwhile place preserves in the bottom corner of a large plastic bag. Snip corner when ready to pipe preserves into cupcake.

Remove cupcakes and use a knife to cut a small hole in the middle of each cupcake. Use the baggie to squeeze the preserves evenly into the holes. Allow to cool and enjoy.


And then I proceeded to eat 3. Hey, they are only 2 points (92 calories) each. And now I think I'm in a carb stupor. But a yummy, yummy carb stupor. You should check out Hungry Girl if you do Weight Watchers (she has points for every recipe, which admittedly you could look up with the nutrition info but it saves a step), if you are looking for low cal and low fat alternatives to popular fatty foods or if you just need a little cupcake fix. You can check out her website here.

No comments: