Thursday, April 23, 2009

My New Attitude

I am reading a book now that I hope will change my life. When I saw it as a recommendation on Amazon (how do they know me so well) I had to buy it.


I would like to be happy. And I would like to be happy without being perfect. I thought organizing my house would lead to feelings of competence and accomplishment but it's beginning to make me feel anxious about everything I'm not doing. The monthly tasks are just suggestions right? Not a concrete time line? I know I will put it off indefinitely if I don't have some sort of set schedule but right now I can hardly lift my head off the table at dinner let alone clean my bedroom. But some day, right? Right? I fully intend to continue, just at a slower pace. One day I will master my domain. But until then I will read this book so I don't have to keep feeling bad about all the things I don't do and start giving myself credit for all the things I do. This book is written specifically for women and I have enjoyed the first couple chapters. Now if I can put all of these ideas into action. She does specifically mention Martha and how detrimental she has been to our generation of overachievers. I must say I do love myself some Martha (and some neighbors call me Martha-bless you) but I only take her really, really easy ideas and leave the rest to the pros or Super Moms. But I will concede she has taken homemaking and entertaining to impossible new heights. Thank goodness all the people I know are not that fancy (OK save you Sara) and they impress easily. But I need to start being nicer to me. I know I keep writing that. Maybe if I write it enough it will come true.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you really scare me sometimes.

I LOVE that book. Actually, I just love Alice Domar. She's the most amazing person and her work just resonates in my soul and helps me to find my way.

That book is currently in my bathroom in the TBR pile. I checked it out from the library when it first came out, but bought it when it came out in paperback.

Marie said...

I can relate, Jennifer! I've been feeling guilty, too, that I haven't been making more progress on my study. It's just SO overwhelming, so it's easy to put it off. I found the other rooms much easier to tackle because I could see the progress more quickly. And there's not much to blog about as I slog through the piles of crap!! But must go downstairs right now and continue tackling my art supplies!

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

adjunctmom-Good to see you here. I hope I scare you in a good way? I went to a therapist for a little tune up a couple years ago and she recommended Alice Domar. I have another of her books but I haven't even cracked it yet. I guess it didn't sound as relevant as the Being Perfect book.

Marie-Had to delete my previous comment so I could include a little note to you. It's so nice to know someone is still out there. It is funny (and a little amazing) that we have so much stuff we forget we have it all. I guess that's the point of simplifying.